Central College recognized eight faculty members this spring for their outstanding leadership in teaching, service and scholarship.
- Amy Young, associate professor of German and class dean, (B.A., Simpson College; M.A., Bowling Green State University; Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln) received the Dr. John Wesselink Award for scholarship with a direct impact on teaching.
- Shelley-Jean Bradfield, associate professor of communication studies, (B.S., Helderberg College; A., Rand Afrikaans University; Ph.D., Indiana University-Bloomington) received the David Crichton Memorial Teaching Award for excellence in teaching that challenges and shapes the intellectual development in students.
- Maggie Fisher Schlerman ’02, associate professor of accounting, (B.A., Central College; M.Acc.,Iowa State University) and Crystal Argenta Bruntz ’88, lecturer of accounting, (B.A., Central College; B.A. Drake University) received the Hutch Bearce Community-Building and Faculty Leadership Award for community building and mentorship or leadership.
- Kathy Korcheck, professor of Spanish, (B.S. and M.A., Kent State University; Ph.D., Washington University in St. Louis) received the Huffman Award for Outstanding Support of International Education. This award recognizes the contributions made by Donald and Maxine Huffman to Central’s programs in international education.
- Liz Golovatski, associate professor of physics, (B.S., St. Ambrose University; Ph.D., University of Iowa) received the Frank W. Moore Faculty Award for promoting student learning in the natural sciences.
- Paulina Mena, associate professor of biology, (B.S., Universidad Cato̒lica de Valparaiso, Chile; Ph.D., University of Iowa) received the Moore Family Faculty Award. This award recognizes and fosters joint student-faculty summer collaborations that promote a greater depth of student understanding within the natural science division disciplines.
- James Dunne, assistant professor of chemistry, (B.S., Grove City College; Ph.D., Iowa State University) received the Marvin L. Hackert Faculty Development Fund for Science and Mathematics for enhancing the quality of the sciences at Central through those activities that promote professional development and research.
In addition, Dawn Stiemsma Reece ’89, associate professor of sociology, (B.A., Central College; M.S., Ph.D., Iowa State University) was recognized for her 25 years of teaching at Central.
Three faculty members retired in December and were recognized during the annual faculty awards program. Robert Franks, professor emeritus of computer science, (B.A. Northwest Missouri State University; M.S., Ph.D. Iowa State University); Cathy Hinga Haustein ’77, professor emerita of chemistry, (B.A., Central College; M.F.A., Ph.D., University of Iowa); and Mary Jo Sodd, professor emerita of theatre, (B.A. University of Saint Catherine; M.A. University of Minnesota – Twin Cities; Ph.D. University of Colorado) have impacted thousands of students during their collective 96 years of service.