Five Central College faculty members received awards this spring for their outstanding leadership in teaching, service and scholarship:
- Joshua Dolezal, professor of English, (B.A., King College; M.A., Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln) received the Dr. John Wesselink Award for scholarship with a direct impact on teaching.
- Kathy Korcheck, professor of Spanish, (B.S., M.A., Kent State University; Ph.D., Washington University in St. Louis) received the David Crichton Memorial Teaching Award for excellence in teaching which challenges and shapes the intellectual development in students.
- Jon Witt, professor of sociology, (B.A., Trinity College; M.A., Ph.D., Loyola University Chicago) received the Hutch Bearce Community-Building and Faculty Leadership Award for community building and mentorship or leadership.
- Allison Krogstad, professor of Spanish, (B.A., North Central College; M.A., Ph.D., University of Minnesota) received the Huffman Award for Outstanding Support of International Education. This award recognizes the contributions made by Donald and Maxine Huffman to Central’s programs in international education.
- Cathy Haustein, professor of chemistry, (B.A., Central College; M.F.A., Ph.D., University of Iowa) received the Frank W. Moore Faculty Award for promoting student learning in the natural sciences.
Another faculty member was recognized for his 32 years of service to the college. Dennis Doyle, professor of communication studies, (B.A., University of Northern Iowa; M.S., University of North Texas; Ph.D., Southern Illinois University-Carbondale) retired at the end of the 2020-21 academic year. He has taught at Central since 1989. Doyle served as chair of the communication studies department from 1995-98, 2000-02, 2011-12 and 2018-21. In 2012, he was honored with the Citation Award for Outstanding Leadership in the State from the Iowa Communication Association, where he served as president for a three-year term.
Two additional faculty members were honored for 25 years of service: Mary Jo Sodd, professor of theatre, (B.A., University of St. Catherine; M.A., University of Minnesota, Twin Cities; Ph.D., University of Colorado at Boulder) and Terence Kleven, professor of religion, (B.A., University of Calgary; M.A., Ph.D., McMaster University). Sodd and Kleven both joined Central in 1996.
Pictured above: (Top row) Joshua Dolezal, Dennis Doyle, Cathy Haustein and Terence Kleven. (Bottom row) Kathy Korcheck, Allison Krogstad, Mary Jo Sodd and Jon Witt.